Maxwell Technologies has expanded its ultracapacitor-based Engine Start Module (ESM) product line to provide the same benefits to Class 3 through 6 medium-duty trucks that it already offers to Class 7 and 8 heavy-duty diesel trucks.
Consistent with the current ESM product, the new ESM ULTRA 31/900 provides the following features and benefits:
- 900 cold cranking amperes (CCA), or a three-second crank
- Reliable starting for diesel engines up to 9.9 liters at temperatures -40°F to 149°F
- Low-maintenance operation and life-of-the-vehicle reliability
- Industry standard Group 31 battery form factor for easy integration with battery systems
- Built-in quick charging system (15 minutes or less)
- Extended battery life, full compatibility with existing battery systems
- Four year unlimited warranty.
Maxwell’s ESM ULTRA 31/900 assumes the starting responsibility for the truck and effectively eliminates cranking problems that come from weak or discharged batteries. The product delivers the quick-burst power trucks need to crank their engines in extreme cold.
At 16 pounds, the new ESM is rugged and lightweight, delivering reliable starts and allowing extensive use of lift-gates and buckets while the engine is off without fear of the truck not starting.
The ESM ULTRA 31/900 is a no-acid, lead-free energy storage solution that weighs less than one-fourth of the Group 31 lead-acid battery it replaces. It stays fully charged even when the truck’s lead-acid battery is as low as 9.5V.