Two trucking industry veterans, a state trucking association, a motor carrier and an allied company were honored in Philadelphia this past weekend with the ninth annual Mike Russell Trucking Industry Image Award.
The award, sponsored by the American Trucking Associations (ATA), honors trucking companies, state associations and industry suppliers that generate positive awareness of the trucking industry.
“Every person working in the trucking industry has the responsibility to advocate on its behalf and demonstrate the safety-first mentality of the trucking industry to the public,” said Kevin Burch, ATA’s second vice chairman and president of Jet Express Inc., Dayton, Ohio. “The awards we presented celebrate a company, organization or individual who over the past year has gone above and beyond to establish positive awareness of the trucking industry.”
This year’s winners were:
- Con-way Inc., for its involvement in the community, on social media and their aggressive media outreach that changes the way people think about trucking
- FastPort, for arranging trucking specific career fairs at military bases, working with business leaders to promote trucking, making it easier for companies to recruit, and for honoring truck drivers with its excellent “Imagine” video
- The Tennessee Trucking Association Foundation for publishing the children’s book Papa Doug Hauls Strawberries & Smiles and inspiring kids to dream about becoming a truck driver
- The late Russell Gerdin, Heartland Express Inc., for his involvement and service to his community and for generating positive awareness about trucking by demonstrating professionalism throughout his illustrious career
- Ralph Garcia, ABF Freight System Inc., for representing the industry through his role as an America’s Road Team Captain, competing at an elite level in state and national truck driving competitions, and his commitment to safety resulting in over 3.5 million accident-free miles.
The Mike Russell Trucking Image Awards are named in honor of the late Mike Russell, a trucking industry supporter and former ATA vice president of public affairs, and are sponsored by HireRight.
“Those of us in trucking are aware of the vital role that it plays in the daily life of every person,” said Steven Spencer, managing director of transportation and healthcare for HireRight. “Some individuals and organizations go above and beyond to broaden and strengthen that awareness among the millions of people who benefit from the trucking industry every day.
“HireRight is honored to sponsor this year’s Mike Russell Image Awards and acknowledge the outstanding leadership that this group has exhibited in their efforts to promote a positive image of the trucking industry to policymakers, the media, and the general public.”