If you know a truck driver who is a hero, the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. wants to hear your story. Goodyear announced this week it is accepting nominations for its 33rd Highway Hero Award through Nov. 29, 2015.
The Goodyear Highway Hero Award was established in 1983 to honor truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others. Goodyear will announce its 33rd Highway Hero Award winner next March during the 2016 Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville, Ky.
This year’s Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner, Clinton Blackburn is a truck driver from Morehead, Ky., who rescued Darrell Herndon, a law enforcement official who was being strangled by a prisoner he was transporting.
The previous year’s Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner, Ivan Vasovic, rescued a fellow truck driver from a burning tanker truck that was hanging over the side of a freeway overpass.
Other past Highway Hero Award winners include a truck driver who rescued a family of six from a crushed minivan, a driver who saved a woman from a gun-wielding attacker, and a driver who pulled an elderly man from a car before it was destroyed by an oncoming train.
“The Goodyear Highway Hero Award honors truck drivers who put their lives on the line to save others from deadly situations,” said Gary Medalis, director of marketing, Goodyear Commercial Tire Systems.
“Over the last 30-plus years, we’ve heard hundreds of stories about the bravery and selflessness of truck drivers. If you know of a driver who deserves recognition for performing a heroic act, please let us know.”
For consideration, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a full-time truck driver
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada
- Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to and from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2014, and Nov. 16, 2015
- After the Goodyear Highway Hero Award nomination period ends on Nov. 29, the list of eligible Highway Hero Award candidates will be narrowed down to three finalists. A panel of trucking industry judges will later select the 33rd Goodyear Highway Hero.
For more information or a nomination form, visit www.goodyeartrucktires.com.